The internet is awash with super cheap air heaters which are sold via Ebay, Amazon etc. These heaters are generally manufactured via smaller assembly companies (there are approx. 100) in China who source parts from primary manufacturers and assemble them with varying regard for quality control or after sales service/support/warranty.
- Parts are generally low quality. Glow plugs, fan motor bearings and brushes, electronics, etc. are all very cheaply made. This contributes to poor reliability overall.
- Combustion mixtures are often not optimised so they carbon up quickly.
- Outputs are often well below the advertised levels, ie. outlet air temperature is often well below 85 to 90deg and air flow can be lower.
- Ducting and vents are can be non standard sizes making installation tricky.
- Identifying faulty parts can be tricky (it can be hard enough on reputable brands). Error codes on ECUs are often misleading and finding issues via the elimination process is difficult without additional compatible parts.
- Accessories, like ducting, fuel tanks, etc. are all very cheap and don’t tend to last. They are not UV stable or made of good materials.
- The cheap plastics tend to smell more when hot and give off a lot more VOC.
- When you contact the seller (if you can) they are often not equipped to do servicing. Parts are either not available or are 4 weeks away from China.
What Dieselheat Can Do
- Check our list of Chinese heater spare parts for compatible spares. We have large photos of all our spares to help you visually match components. Things to keep in mind are the size of the heater and the voltage. Controllers are difficult to match because even if the pins match the onboard ECU might not be compatible.
- If you are sick of fixing your cheap heater and want to upgrade to a decent heater with warranty, service, parts etc. then call us. We can make up kits to retrofit a good quality heater into your existing install, keeping as much of the existing install kit as possible to minimize the cost.
- Check our glow plug service – if you post us your failed glowplug we will try and match it for you, including replacing the ECU connector by cutting and joining the wires if they are a different shape.
What We Can’t Do
- We cannot install your cheap heater. We won’t let you throw good money after bad and we can’t guarantee it will work when the install is done.
- Service your cheap heater. We can provide parts but we cannot actually service your heater because we won’t have the necessary controllers, wiring looms or diagnostic gear to efficiently identify issues. In many cases service costs would exceed the cost of the heater.
- We can’t offer phone advice or support for these cheap heaters. Please read the forums, go to youtube or contact the seller for support.